We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ebay scam warning!  (Read 679 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Ebay scam warning!
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:52:43 PM »
Not sure if this is the correct place, but since most of the offered plants are orchids....

Avoid Ebay seller tropicalfactory!

It turns out it is the new identity of Baerbelde, who scammed me royally for a plant about 4 years back. His MO is to sell supposedly rare Trigonopedia Cypripedium whilst dormant, actually sending out only common hybrids. When the unfortunate buyer realizes what's happened, the Ebay window for complaints has closed. Follow up messages are ignored, and Ebay is maybe the very worst moderated/monitored site on the entire internet, so there is little or no opportunity to get them involved, however clear the scam.

Of course, the identities of plants he offers are barely credible at times, and I suspect it will be obvious to many that this is not all it seems. But, just in case, I warn everyone to stay away from this plain and simple thief!!

I wonder if this is the Kai Nadja who pops up frequently on various forums as a thief and scammer?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:54:30 PM by Alex »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Ebay scam warning!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
The same sort of scam is often perpetrated on buyers of snowdrops.  Unless you are very confident in the seller you take a big risk buying a plant at a time when it cannot be identified as the real thing.  There is a whole cottage-industry of fraudsters taking advantage of the short time limits that eBay imposes on refunds. 
Almost in Scotland.

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942