We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Region Elbe Elster Germany  (Read 370 times)

Harald-Alex.

Re: Snowdrop Region Elbe Elster Germany
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »
It's much warmer in your country than here. Bees don't fly before March or April (12-15°C). We have years in which we don't have peaches because it was too cold for bees when the trees flowered. When the first bees appear the snowdrops are gone for weeks.
Hannelore
Hallo Hannelore, I found in my snowdropgarden during sunny weather already end februar and Mart bees in snowdropflowers collecting pollen.
I send You a foto from 8.3.2013, where You can see a bee in snowdrops. (Foto 1)
The fertile galanthus flowers forms green fruits with fertile seeds, the infertile fruits soon after flowering became yellow and dry out. (Foto 2). Greetings from Döbrichau, Saxonia - North Harald
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:14:47 PM by Harald-Alex. »

Mariette

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 10:19:03 PM »
Last year we started in Torgau a landart projekt for the 500 Year of Reformation with 16000 Galanthus and Chionodoxa and planted the portraits of Martin Luther and Katharina von Bora in the lawn of the Rosengarten near the Castle Hartenfels Torgau ( Foto 1).
We opened a new "Lutherweg Elbe-Elster" and near the "Heilandskirche Beilrode" we planted the family-logo of Martin Luther. (Foto 2).
In the next month the park of Schurigshof will coloured ful BLUE with thousands of Scilla sibirica flowers (Foto 3)

Harald- Alex, I´m really impressed by the activities with which You improve the attractiveness of Your region by planting so many snowdrops and other geophytes! Hope to be able to visit Your garden and area in a few years when retired, as it will take more than just a day off.

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »
Harald- Alex, I´m really impressed by the activities with which You improve the attractiveness of Your region by planting so many snowdrops and other geophytes! Hope to be able to visit Your garden and area in a few years when retired, as it will take more than just a day off.
Hallo Mariette, thank You for Your nice comment. I try to grow snowdrops not only in my own garden, but I want to focus the mind to the many natural places in our region, where snowdrops and other spring flowers grows. In 2022 in Torgau starts the" Sächsische Landesgartenschau 2022" and first time for such a exhibition we want organize in february a "Snowdrop-Weekend" , where a new snowdrop variety gets a name!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:58:59 AM by Harald-Alex. »

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942