We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Facebook-The Behemoth  (Read 7545 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Facebook-The Behemoth
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
Those of you who are into Facebook may find this interesting......... and worrying!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39947942
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Facebook-The Behemoth
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:09:52 PM »
Extracted from a recent post made by David Lytle in the Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California thread

""...............It seems that these days many forumists who would have perhaps participated in SRGC Forum discussions have migrated to Facebook. I am not sure why people are so eager to support the commercial activities of Mr Zuckerberg and his associates; perhaps it is the instant gratification the "Like" button provides which feeds the narcissistic tendencies of humankind.....""

and like wise from Robert

"".............As for Facebook…

Supporting Facebook in any way is completely contrary to my values.........""

Great minds think alike-wonderful!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

pfirsich48

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »
ibid

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
David, I was going to give a detailed explanation as to why I migrated to Facebook, but had second thoughts and decided it was not a good idea. I would like to say though that I don't have narcissistic tendencies and am not much into instant gratification, I do have other reasons that are better not printed here.  (Instant gratification and narcissistic tendencies,) could one possibly say the same about those who put plants on the show bench? :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
As I have stated elsewhere, I feel  it is a great shame that some members prefer to post in Facebook etc  nowadays.  My reason for this is that this platform is open to all and is  searchable and provides a lasting archive of information, whereas FB etc are only available to group members and are useless for internet searches for information.   Everything we have tried to do here, in addition to providing a "meeting place" for like minded gardening folks,  is geared towards  providing  an archived resource of useful information - the like of which is seldom available elsewhere. To this end we also provide, wherever possible, links to other places of interest where information might be found.   It is the inability of the "popular"  social media sites to provide this in one easily accessible place that  saddens me.

These social sites are easy to use and I am involved in Facebook and Twitter, in order to give the SRGC a platform there - and yes, it can be fun- but I still  laud this place for being a site where  real information can be found and shared.  Just a pity that those who insist that every organisation requires a presence on social media sites are not  around to help out in that respect!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:05:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
Snowdrops Maggi, Snowdrops. :)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
Since my quote has been used in the Facebook debate I think that it is wise to clarify my position.

First, the debate over Facebook appears to be a highly charged emotional topic. I have not desire to show any disrespect to those that choose to use Facebook. My issues are with Mr. Zuckerberg and his business, not Facebook users.

I differentiate between Facebook itself and the people that use Facebook. In my mind Facebook is a “thing”, not a person, created by Mr. Zuckerberg as a for profit business. Like any business I have a free will choice either to use the business service or do something else. Personally, there is nothing about Mr. Zuckerberg’s business I wish to support. Mr. Zuckerberg gathers enormous amounts of information about each user. He does not disclose how this information is being sold and used. There have been a number of studies that have concluded that Facebook is not a healthy environment for children or teenagers. I cannot support something that exploits and profits from those who are vulnerable and impressionable. This is not the type of world I want to create. This issue is between Mr. Zuckerberg, his business and me.

As Maggi has pointed out, there are many positive aspects to our SRGC Forum. This is something I wholeheartedly support. Anyone can read my SRGC Forum diary and anyone who chooses to interact with me can do so. From what I have been told, some Facebook groups have limited access and one can only participate if allowed in by the group. In other words, some are excluded. Social Media? Is this the appropriate venue for such things? Once again this is a free will choice and I do not want to support directly or indirectly such things. The older I get, the more I realize that my choices have consequences that ripple out into the universe. I wish to be as mindful as possible about what I support or do not support. Hannah Arendt’s New Yorker essay, The Report on the Banality of Evil surrounding the trial of Adolf Eichmann, elaborates on how our actions or inactions can have tremendous consequences. I am just doing the best I can to make wise choices.

When I first joined the SRGC Forum I made many mistakes, yet I was never asked to leave or excluded. With time I found a niche where I feel I can make a positive contribution to the SRGC. I like simplicity and wish to focus my energies towards something that I truly believe in.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
 (There is nothing about Mr. Zuckerberg’s business I wish to support. Mr. Zuckerberg gathers enormous amounts of information about each user.)

One could say the same about Bill Gates, most people who use the internet use Windows and therefore support Bill Gates ( who also collects lots or information) by the very fact that they are using the internet. I don't see the difference.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:28:48 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Robert

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
Hi Michael,

I am lost!  :) I do not understand the point. I seems obvious that every choice we make in life supports or does not support something. I am not trying to tell anyone what they should or should not do. I have the freedom to support or not support Facebook or Google (they too collect vast amounts of personal information). You have the freedom to support or not support Facebook, Microsoft, your local grocery store, the telephone company, to get up in the morning or stay in bed. I am just trying to think about what I do in this very imperfect world.

I have made no judgement of your personal actions, and do not wish to. I hope that you are not taking my comments this way.

I understand that Facebook is a highly charged topic. I did the best I could to explain my choices as personal. Yes, I do this or that. So what? It is about me and no one else. I am 100% responsible for my actions. I just want to think about what I am doing and why. There is nothing to debate. You use Facebook. This is your choice not mine. I do not even know you. It would be completely unfair to judge you base on whether or not you use Facebook. My guess is that you are a intelligent, mindful, caring person. Most people are. I have no desire to attack you and anyone else who uses Facebook. I have settled my issue with Mr. Zuckerberg by refusing to use his business product. I know that there are some that do not like this choice and shun me. That is their choice. I think it is sad, but that is the way it is.
Robert Barnard

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »
 :) :) :)

Robert

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 01:09:58 AM »
Michael,

:) :) :)

8) 8) 8)
Robert Barnard

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 03:02:32 AM »
I think that if you are using an internet service such as Facebook it is useful to ask the question "What information am I providing them in return for the service they are offering and what do they do with it?" If you are comfortable with the answer then by all means use it. If you are like me and are not, then don't.

Posting on this Forum is akin to publication; once it is up on the site it is in the public domain whether it be a photo or a casual comment. That is the nature of the Internet. You can download my photos or agree/disagree with my comments. I try not to be contentious but I seem to have set the cat among the pigeons on this occasion. Robert's blog is a good example of the power of this Forum; it is informative, focused and leads to some good discussion on its content.( ie I mean its actual botanical content)

David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 06:34:14 AM »
Hello Michael,

(There is nothing about Mr. Zuckerberg’s business I wish to support. Mr. Zuckerberg gathers enormous amounts of information about each user.)
One could say the same about Bill Gates, most people who use the internet use Windows and therefore support Bill Gates ( who also collects lots or information) by the very fact that they are using the internet. I don't see the difference.

There is a huge difference.

You can differ between three layers in the job FB does.

There's first the safety of information against other users of FB and the internet. In this respect the information is protected, even better than at many other places in the net (f.i. I have three websites and according to German Law there has to be an impressum with personal information free to see for everybody).

The second is, what FB does itself with the information they get - they sell it, the same way as Google, Microsoft and so on. You are right, there is no difference.

The third is the manipulation of the reality of the users. The FB software traces the behaviour of each user and constructs this way a sort of electronic personality. This enriches the information and their value when selling it. But the software also selects the news shown to the users by their profile: So every FB user gets a picture of the world which fits into his electronic profile. In my eyes this is the worst thing in FB and that's why I'm not there but read my paper newpaper every day.

I hope that I could express that a little bit understandable in English.

BW Hannelore
A hobby is a grind you would never do for money
http://www.neomarica.de/English/

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »
Aah, FB, yes.  I have used it for a long time. It doesn't mean I no longer come here.  I have loads of friends who have no interest in gardening, and FB gives me the ability to be in touch with them unobtrusively, sharing information I decide to share.  Yes, I put garden pics up there too, and even friends with no gardening interest often say they enjoy seeing what I'm doing in my garden, and who knows, maybe they will become interested...
So sorry folks, I shall always be on FB because it suits me.  I have never thought of FB as an information resource, Maggi, I don't think it's intention is to do that job, so there is no need to worry that it replaces all the very valuable work you do here, which I appreciate and make frequent use of. Horses for courses so the saying goes, and I think this amazing forum is just as important as FB, but for different reasons.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
I use Facebook quite a lot without being particularly keen on it.  If you want to talk about some particular botanical interest you are liable to find a much wider community of people posting on that topic than are prepared to register for the SRGC Forum and post here.  I'm not sure why that is; perhaps they join Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family and then it's effortless to join a special interest group there?  It's certainly vastly easier to post photographs to Facebook than to the Forum where you have to worry about image size.  But it can be much more difficult to find an old post on Facebook, even one you made yourself, so what is posted there has an ephemeral nature unlike the Forum which (although this has failed in the past) should maintain a permanent repository of useful information.
Almost in Scotland.

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942