We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Facebook-The Behemoth  (Read 7542 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Facebook-The Behemoth
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »
Ok, here goes, I'll try uploading

.......Came on small and sideways ....  ?

Two things here, Christine -  first, the sideways thing - this I believe depends on the orientation of the camera when the shot was taken -  the image  can default back to the original  when posted .  Here I have  reposted it when turned  in my machine, and secondly, it is appearing as a thumbnail because you have  added it as an "end of post  expandable thumbnail" - rather than choosing the  "inline full-size  image"  choice as an attachment ....

- lovely Petrocosmea, by the way!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »
Gloating, gloating ... simply gloating, gloating.
If you add them as "inline full-size image"  Cliff, they are loud and proud on the page  and  need not be opened individually!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
Test, these photos are very large 3.6mb 4600 x 3500 pixels approximately. (and it works perfectly)
Oxalis perdicaria
Clematis viticella 'Purpurea Plena Elegans'

Super  Jan - thanks for the examples!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
If you add them as "inline full-size image"  Cliff, they are loud and proud on the page  and  need not be opened individually!

Many thanks, Maggie!  It's just remembering that now. LOL.

Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
590511-0

Just for dear Maggi. x
Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 11:55:56 AM »
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
How I would love to attend what I know  will be a  super talk by John Massey - a star in so many fields - to commemorate Jim Lever -  one of the nicest  people I've known in the "rocky plant" world.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
I'd pay big money to get in to hear that.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ian mcdonald

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »
I don,t know what facebook is so I won,t bother looking at it. Don,t know behemoth either so I looked it up. It says, huge creature. I wouldn,t want that flying into me. I don,t have an Iphone, or a smart phone. The only tablets I have are prescribed by my doc. I wonder how I will manage?

SJW

Re: SRGC ease of posting photos!
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 12:05:16 AM »
590639-0
About posting photos - I know the ease of loading pix to facebook is very tempting - along with all those "like" ticks - but  the SRGC Forum has undergone some changes recently and if using the  (attachimg=1)  code - with the square brackets (rather than the ones I've used to allow you to see without confusing the system with code) it is possible to attach  larger photo sizes which will be automatically resized to the page and open in the  text box.
I don't suggest  using huge  multi-MB file sizes - but  one can post much larger photos than previously - plus the size that photos are resized to on Facebook will transfer here perfectly.
 A couple of random examples .....

Testing...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:46:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:19 AM »
Well that seemed to work. So you just type attachimg=1 (plus brackets) at the beginning of the text and that's it?
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Great Moravian

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »
Dear Maggi,
My system says that the forum site is not secure. Please consult this with the provider.
Ask them to make Inline full-size image default.

It is not necessary to type [attachimg=1]. The engine does it by the following procedure.
Simply move the cursor to the place in the text where the image should be included.
Choose Attachments an other options.
Click on End-of-post expandable thumbnail or Inline expandable thumbnail
or Inline full-size image,  and choose Inline full-size image.
Select the attached image from your directory.
You can add further image in another place by the same procedure, the engine will insert [attachimg=2].
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:43:33 PM by Great Moravian »
Josef N.
gardening in Brno, Czechoslovakia
---
Krieg, Handel und Piraterie, dreieinig sind sie, nicht zu trennen
War, business and piracy are triune, not to separate
Goethe

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
Josef's instructions are correct. We do not intend to remove the other options for  posting.
When  one attaches photos  etc to a forum post,  under the "Attachments and other options" button below the text  box, there are various choices - when one uses the   (attachimg=1)  code - within the square brackets -
it is possible to attach  larger photo sizes which will be automatically resized to the page and open in the  text box.  (I've used () type to allow you to see without confusing the system with code when using the code in square brackets - that is to say, if I showed the code inside the square brackets all you would see is an attachment unavailable message because there is no picture loaded)
A screen grab of those options is shown below ( in inline expandable thumbnail version !)
590713-0

Josef, the forum is the same as ever - it is just that recently  browsers have beome  more enthusiastic to "warn" people  that a site does not have https encryption.  The same warning is shown for any number of other sites like ours. We do not consider that necessary for the SRGC site  because there is no  sensitive material held onsite.  https  level security  also costs  more to provide and this seems an unneeded expense for a charitable site providing free information to our audience.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:54:07 PM by Maggi Young »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »
Oxalis massoniana.

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942