We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Facebook-The Behemoth  (Read 7725 times)

kindredspiritkevin

• Coolwater.
Re: Facebook-The Behemoth
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
I pay to be a member of SRGC.
I pay to be a member of AGS.
I don't think I would ever pay to be part of Farcebook, although I use it an awful lot,
the same as I avoid flying Ryanair
and avoid shopping in Dunnes.
I don't post that much here because I don't have the expertise
but I love Alpine plants and 99% seem to grow for me. (63 troughs and rising.)   :)  :) My other areas are exotics and native plants........no dahlias or anything.

(Just the way I think.)
Co. Limerick, Ireland. Zone: 8. Height. 172m. Lowest temp: Dec. 2010. -14°C. Wet maritime climate.

www.coolwatergarden.com

Some piccies but not of plants.

Great Moravian

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
Josef, the forum is the same as ever - it is just that recently  browsers have beome  more enthusiastic to "warn" people  that a site does not have https encryption.  The same warning is shown for any number of other sites like ours. We do not consider that necessary for the SRGC site  because there is no  sensitive material held onsite.  https  level security  also costs  more to provide and this seems an unneeded expense for a charitable site providing free information to our audience.
Maggi,
Thank you for clear explanation.
Josef N.
gardening in Brno, Czechoslovakia
---
Krieg, Handel und Piraterie, dreieinig sind sie, nicht zu trennen
War, business and piracy are triune, not to separate
Goethe

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Here goes... a behind the scene image from the Great Dixter Autumn Plant Fair. Some pictures on Facebook-The Behemoth too, and soon to be published, a Kent Diary on the AGS website about the event and the people who came to it... And because this is so easy and I hadn't discovered this option before I will return to rebuilding my rebuilding blog here too 😉591572-0
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
Maggi -and probably many others - I thought you might like this! -

In a recent issue of New Scientist magazine, a contributor describes how he was looking at a poster about Facebook. Part of the poster was obscured by something so all he could see of the social media's name was "Facebo". He imagines this is a new phenomenon - "The Facebo Effect" and that it could be defined as "the phenomenon of thinking you are having real, beneficial personal interactions, when in fact, you're not"

Paul
From New Scientist 28 October 2017 p. 56
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
About a month ago I heard the following report on the U.S. morning news TV program “CSB This Morning”. It went something like this: journalist and journalism create news content; facebook gets news content for free, yet gets 100% of the advertising revenue. i.e. something for nothing! Journalists want and need to be paid for their services. Also journalism and freedom of the press is essential for a healthy democratic system. Hum! Who knows what the truth is, but this does not sound so good.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »
................He imagines this is a new phenomenon - "The Facebo Effect" and that it could be defined as "the phenomenon of thinking you are having real, beneficial personal interactions, when in fact, you're not"

Wonderful. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »
About a month ago I heard the following report on the U.S. morning news TV program “CSB This Morning”. It went something like this: journalist and journalism create news content; facebook gets news content for free, yet gets 100% of the advertising revenue. i.e. something for nothing! Journalists want and need to be paid for their services. Also journalism and freedom of the press is essential for a healthy democratic system. Hum! Who knows what the truth is, but this does not sound so good.
Robert, you are correct about the Journalists creating news content, they don't disseminate news content, they create it, more often than not it is isn't the truth and is only propaganda for whoever pays their wages. As for journalism and the freedom of the press for a healthy democratic system ( maybe you can quote one) because in this country one man owns practically all the newspapers and all the regional radio stations, not much democracy or freedom of the press there. At least we don't have to pay a licence or spend money on newsprint, and with Facebook, we can freely express our opinion, people can then and agree or disagree with us if they choose. With a newspaper, radio, or TV, we don't have that right, and a lot of people think that because it is in print in a large format in a newspaper that it is the truth. We have exposed lots of scandals and organised one of the largest protest movements in Europe all through Facebook, and forced the Government to back down on proposed legislation. While I don't agree with a lot of  Facebook policy and operating methods it is the best we have at the moment to help counteract the Government propaganda that is fed to us on a daily basis  :) :) :)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
Michael,

At home my wife and I do not have a TV, radio, facebook, newspapers, news magazines, etc.

I was somewhere else visiting when I saw the TV program and I was paraphrasing their statements not mine!

I agree, in many cases (most likely most cases, i.e. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in a broad sense) I do not know what the truth is! This explains the comment "Who knows what the truth is?"

I have to admit that not being plugged into the news is interesting. Not very much happens that effects my daily life.

It is in my best interest to stop posting on this thread. Gandhi meditated every day on "not agitating and not being agitated by the world". Seems like a good idea.  :) I do not understand why people get so worked up about facebook and I certainly do not want to get worked up about facebook.  :P   What a waste of my time and energy! Like most of the "news", facebook has zero bearing on my everyday life.

I like our garden, gardening, botany, and even doing stuff for the TV station. Yes, I volunteer for our local TV station. They are not evil people trying to spread lies and evil! They are very nice everyday folks like you and me. They are concerned about their community, their families and doing good. They are not interested in monopolies, evil, conspiracy theories, or other non sense. They work extremely hard and are dedicated to their work. They do the best they can, just like you and me. They are not part of some sort of propaganda machine. The system is not perfect and never will be! Journalism is not a disrespectful profession! I think that they would dislike the implications of your statements and I am going to stand up for them!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »
Well all I can say is that I have met a very level headed and wise lady, Ethne Clarke (one of many such people of both sexes) on Facebook - and which happens to be true here too - who said on a political theme: "But it is worth trying and to resist by trying -- reading, writing and talking. "Truth," wrote David Hume, "springs from arguments among friends."

Horses for courses!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

P. Kohn

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
Can someone explain the point of Facebook. I still don't really understand. My daughter used it when she was touring Australia and New Zealand for a year and wanted her friends to follow her travels which makes some sense I suppose, But she has long since given up on Facebook. Rather shocked recently to discover a local gardening group to which we have been asked to talk which seems to operate entirely on Facebook and doesn't bother with a website so I suppose it works for them. But personally, no thank you.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
For a start, Peter, websites cost money to  operate - FB is free so it makes sense for many  groups to only use that.  Of course, one of the costs of a website  comes with the assurance that information can be kept accessible  to all - which is certainly important to the SRGC.

We are told  (often by those with no experience of any kind of social media !) that FB and Twitter etc are "THE WAY" to communicate with people in the  modern world - well, it may be worth using those  paths just to give the likes of the SRGC some extra publicity, perhaps to some who would not find us otherwise - but I cannot see the website losing its value as a repository for information.  Makes me all the more grateful for those wonderful people who not only support the SRGC by their membership but by their donations to the website.  Bless them all, I say!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

P. Kohn

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
Yes, Maggi

And we are hugely grateful for all the work you do on the forum. I can see what you are saying about the value of Facebook to small impoverished groups. Still not for me. And as for Twitter, All I need say is 'Donald Trump'.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
I can think of no better an organisation to volunteer for than the SRGC, Peter!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
Here here! As you say, Facebook is very useful to communicate with and widen our audience, but this website and Forum are indeed the best places to serve as a permanent repository of information that can be found and referred to easily time and again.

I heard a startling claim this week, that as many as two thirds of Twitter users are fake and spammer accounts. Facebook requires you to identify yourself as an individual and limits any one individual to one account (not impossible to get around this if you're determined, granted) whereas Twitter seems to be much more lax about these things.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet!

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942