We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Facebook-The Behemoth  (Read 5288 times)

Graeme

Re: Facebook-The Behemoth
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »
I heard a startling claim this week, that as many as two thirds of Twitter users are fake and spammer accounts. Facebook requires you to identify yourself as an individual and limits any one individual to one account (not impossible to get around this if you're determined, granted) whereas Twitter seems to be much more lax about these things.
Not that I do faceache - but a bunch of payasyougo sims - and a decent vpn and you can have as many accounts as you want

Like most security systems it depends how determined you are to circumvent it
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2017, 09:05:43 AM »
Today I got for our bookshop the offer "Auto likes service for social media"
so you can estimate what the "likes" value.

Hannelore
A hobby is a grind you would never do for money
http://www.neomarica.de/English/

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2017, 12:00:35 PM »
Facebook requires you to identify yourself as an individual and limits any one individual to one account (not impossible to get around this if you're determined, granted)

Several people that I encounter on Facebook have names that are very obviously bogus.  The Facebook administration does not seem to be capable of spotting this.
Almost in Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2018, 07:40:24 PM »
Extracts below from an interview on the Radio 4 programme 'Today' with Robert Hannigan who until last year ran GCHQ (the UK's "listening post")

Asked whether Facebook was a threat to democracy he replied "Potentially yes. I think if is, if it isn't controlled and regulated"

Facebook's ethics are those of a multinational, hard-headed advertising business, which is what they are really"

"One of the problems is that they have presented themselves as fluffy community builder" whereas actually they were "incredibly secretive companies refusing to co-operate with a whole range of governments including the US"

"The Company needs to be more open about who is funding their accounts, who is behind their accounts and to share that information on law enforcement with governments."

And from  today's Times.

"{The company's} real problem is a lack of transparency. The truth is we don't really know who is behind Facebook accounts, who is putting into them, so we're getting potentially mass propaganda and targeted propaganda without any understanding of where it is coming from" He added that Facebook would  "....squeeze whatever profit they can out of the data they are using"  and that incentives to drive profit were likely to be "higher than incentives to protect privacy".

My personal view, for what it is worth, is that during the next couple of years Facebook will be gradually "legislated" out of existence.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942