We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.  (Read 16938 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
If you buy a dormant bulb and it turns out not to be the correct bulb that you were promised you will not be able to do anything about it through eBay or Paypal.  This is because the time limit that you have to register a complaint will have expired by the time you see the bulb in flower.  Many eBay scammers rely on this "loophole" so if you buy dormant bulbs on eBay you should only do so from vendors with a rock solid reputation.  And by reputation I do not mean eBay feedback score. 
Almost in Scotland.

mallthorn

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »
I will now only buy from reputable Nurseries and their aliases. I know which ones sell quality bulbs/plants and have regrettably suffered with virused plants from others.

I have read this seller is a fake account we need to be wary of.?!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »
I have never bought from ebay seller Zorija and would not consider doing so, therefore I cannot answer from any personal experience.  You can read what has been written about them here and form your own judgement.  It has certainly been alleged that they sell on eBay using more than one ID and if this is true it would be both against eBay rules and grounds for suspicion.  eBay does not publish the IDs of winning bidders so anyone with multiple IDs can buy their own items in order to give themselves a fake reputation.   
Almost in Scotland.

David Lowndes

« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »
If you buy a dormant bulb and it turns out not to be the correct bulb that you were promised you will not be able to do anything about it through eBay or Paypal.  This is because the time limit that you have to register a complaint will have expired by the time you see the bulb in flower.  Many eBay scammers rely on this "loophole" so if you buy dormant bulbs on eBay you should only do so from vendors with a rock solid reputation.  And by reputation I do not mean eBay feedback score. 
Not strictly true Alan.  Last year both eBay and Paypal refunded some, but not all, complainants who were caught out by this.  The trouble is that they were highly inconsistent. I was, initially, in the ‘not all’ category and made a formal complaint.  The complaints process for Paypal was labyrinthine, highly inconsistent and contradictory.  It took me nearly three months and I nearly lost the will to live but, eventually, with the help of two forumists here, I got a full refund.  The online and “on phone” procedures were incredibly frustrating so a lot of resilience is needed!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
Well done David.  The online fraudsters rely on people in your position giving up and/or eBay/PayPal refusing to help.  The more trouble eBay/PayPal are put to dealing with issues like this then, hopefully, the more measures they will take to stop it happening in the first place. 
Almost in Scotland.

deee

David Lowndes

« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:46 AM »
Blimey!  Barge pole time?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2019, 10:01:57 AM »

Well all sellers have to start somewhere.  The main reason for steering well clear of new vendor "montop-57" is that it is too late in the season so whatever you get will have finished flowering and therefore it is unverifiable as "correct".
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »

Hi David, I would agree! The marketing seems to be: "You don't know who I am, I have made no effort to reassure you, I have no feedback to reassure you, the bulb has not flowered to date, probably wont flower next year, but will flower the year after".

As a means of triggering 'desire' it does not pass muster, unlike 'barge-pole time' which has high retention!  ;D ;D

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »
A familiar individual has emerged again on Ebay selling 'snowdrops' ........ 'Zorija' also sells under '2010coco44' and 'ferrari098'

Lots of previous problems with this individual, currently 'offering 'Ronald Mackenzie' and others.

Bargepole time!!!!!!!!

Intersting that 'zorija' is currently offering 'Andrea's fault!

Check out one of the bidders, note the Ebay rating in brackets of the 'second bidder':

638653-0

Now compare that to the rating of ''2010coco44' above, another of his user names:

638655-1

Coincidence????

Barge pole squared time!

Gts-gary

« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
Hi just to let people know the snowdrop con-man from crook in Durham is back on eBay trying to sell ‘trymlet’ and ‘south Hayes under his new name glste7628 so avoid at all cause!!!  Just so no one is caught out again !!!

Will23

« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »
Well spotted! It definitely looks like him.  I’ve been keeping my eyes open for him all season. The photo has been taken of the actual computer screen too; probably to stop people searching for the website he nicked it from! First job is to confirm it’s him; then get him banned again! I’ll contact eBay and PayPal.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2019, 12:09:33 PM »
I wrote to this individual and welcomed back 'Galanthophilesgreen' et al and pointed out all the sites and Ebay had been informed. Within 30 mins this:

645222-0

Oh well!  ;D ;D

Gts-gary

« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2019, 01:41:35 PM »
We’ll our swift action and he’s removed his listing off eBay! I also contacted him to inform him I’d told eBay that he’s re-listing again under a new name!
I’m vigilant at watching out for him and will hound him every time, thankfully he’s removed before he’s con’s more unsuspecting galanthus collectors!

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »
Update on 'glste7628' from 'Crook'  AKA 'Galanthophilesgreen' et al this morning.

Here is his current feedback:

648510-0

Ho hum!

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942