We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.  (Read 16936 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »
in the interest of full disclosure, I am Mollythewitch42

Reference to your book in the auction listings was a bit of a giveaway.

Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:52 PM »
But I was really wondering if there are things we can do to discourage the thieves from attempting theft in the first place. I don't know; if I had any good ideas I would suggest them.
We installed CCTV five years ago. A notice announces that. Since then, no more thefts (touchwood). We also have other measures involving infra-red detectors and high pressure water. I would tell you more but then I would have to.......
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 11:00:28 PM »
it's sad that you were forced to take such measures, Steve, but very good that they have been effective.
Almost in Scotland.

Burhinus

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:01 AM »
I've just bought 80's worth of Rosemary Burnham 'offsets' from this person.

Words don't begin to describe how I feel - what's your advice?

Burhinus

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »
I just checked and he's still there, he hasn't vanished from eBay, just doesn't have anything to sell. 

So eBay hasn't shut him down, and he hasn't shut himself down.  I have known fraudsters to just vanish without trace from eBay.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 07:55:31 AM »
He has his Feedback profile changed to 'Private'.

Once this has been done you cannot trade on Ebay. His items yesterday were taken down early.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »
I've just bought 80's worth of Rosemary Burnham 'offsets' from this person.... - what's your advice?

'Rosemary Burnham' is a Galanthus elewsii.  Elwesiis are easy to recognise because one leaf enfolds the other leaf at the base like those of a tulip.  If what you have is not elwesii then you know immediately it is a fake in which case you can report your purchase as such and seek a refund.  If you are unsure then post pictures here showing the leaves and the base of the leaves.  We did this before many years ago when somebody was trying to pass-off neater examples of nivalis flore pleno as 'Ailwyyn'.

If you find a post by Will23 and click on his name you will see his (?) profile and the opportunity to send a PM - a Personal Message.  You can use this to contact him directly.  I suggest you do this in every case but particularly if you will not be able to prove that your bulbs are fake until they produce 'wrong' flowers next year or later.  He can give you details about how he intends to proceed.   
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »
It is good that these fraudsters are discussed here!
I'm not familiar with ebay, I've never bought anything from there, but what I'm wondering is why people don't use their own names or company names to sell there? Then it would not be so easy  for a fraudster just change his/her name!
Leena from south of Finland

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
I had to face a similar problem a few years ago, even though the plants stolen were not expensive (a line of 40 Bergenia along  the street).
 I replaced the plants, and they were stolen again.
I had nightmares about it during weeks... I felt so completely helpless!
And in my dreams, one night, I found a funny solution:
I had been spreading a good layer of Methylene blue on the reverse side of the Bergenia leaves, and I was wandering through the village in search of someone with blue fingers!
The dreams never revealed the face of the thief, alas... ;D
I never tried the methylene blue solution... I just covered the new plants with wire netting, maintained with metallic pegs. It did  work....
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »
I have just received this message from him:

".....am away to my new home in the sun soon enjoy your pretty snowdrops"  -  Hopefully the Police catch up with him before his departure!

In writing my previous post I reminded myself of the "Fake Ailwyn" incident.  The vendor in that instance initially concocted a story about the origin of his bulbs but when challenged further became quite threatening.  The gloating manner in the quote above reminded me a little of him.  Could it be the same man? 
Almost in Scotland.

Edgar Wills

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
I spotted a seller  going by the name of   'petertopping24' the other day who raised my suspicions.  Image searches  by Ingrid  showed that the images this person is using to sell on Ebay are stolen from various other growers- some of them members here - people showing  bulbs or plants with other peoples' photos (  with the rare occasional exception when the permission of the  photographer is  given and stated) are to  be regarded with the utmost suspicion.

Hello, I am a new member, so I guess I might be a bit suspect myself.. However, I would like to say that this seller is real and respectable.

I ordered one flocon de neige from him. To me it looks to be the correct plant, and he sent it from the UK to the Netherlands in a pot! (see attached image)
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Galanthus-nivalis-Flocon-de-Neige-/273055100415
https://feedback.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=petertopping24&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true&rt=nc

I think it's my favorite galanthus so far and I can only recommend this seller.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:23:10 PM by Siopaos »
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
Siopaos, please forgive my  caution - but we have had  such  recommendations from new members in the past that have proved  uncertain.
I ask again - if this person is so reliable, why must he steal other people's photos to sell his plants?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Edgar Wills

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »
Siopaos, please forgive my  caution - but we have had  such  recommendations from new members in the past that have proved  uncertain.
I ask again - if this person is so reliable, why must he steal other people's photos to sell his plants?

I don't know. I Just know that I received the plant from him that I ordered.. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »
As I said the last time this topic came up a couple of years ago, if people used their real names instead of hiding behind pseudonyms, things would be a lot more transparent. And my advice then, as now, is to never buy a snowdrop on ebay unless you know the true identity of the seller.

Reputable sellers could follow Joe Sharman and drop their "amusing" seller names in favour of their real identity.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
I could not agree more, Ralph - but we have a note  regarding registration for the Forum to use a "proper" name - but too few people do. 

I would ask all members  using an assumed to  change their  displayed name to their actual name and allay  fears.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:26:00 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942