We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.  (Read 16944 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
The answer is to remove the facility to use a pseudonym. Real names only.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
The answer is to remove the facility to use a pseudonym. Real names only.
That would require us to write to anyone  using a pseudonym to ask them to change their application,  which would take a lot of time and  the Club wants to be inclusive - something made  difficult by the numbers of  less than respectable folk around, I'm afraid.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Edgar Wills

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
Didn't see the note about real names on registering..

changed my display name in any case. i'm in several snowdrop groups on facebook.
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »
That would require us to write to anyone  using a pseudonym to ask them to change their application,  which would take a lot of time and  the Club wants to be inclusive - something made  difficult by the numbers of  less than respectable folk around, I'm afraid.

Do we want to include the " less than respectable folk"?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
No, we don't but  the Club wouldn't want to exclude anyone with  good reason for using a pseudonym. 

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Burhinus

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
605007-0

My fake 'Rosemary Burnhams' - with apologies for the quality of the photograph. 

But clearly they aren't elwesiis as their leaves are applanate - so I'll be joining Will123 in trying to claim a refund from Paypal.  I'd forgotten to check for this feature in my panic.

Thanks all for advice and comments - what a lovely, helpful group you are. 

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
I truncated my surname when I registered with the Forum.  Trends in social media have gone against me since, but I wanted to be able to share my interest in snowdrops and other plants without anyone who chooses being able to cross reference this with everything else that could be found out about me; my address for example.   
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »
Quite so, Alan , there are good reasons for some people preferring a level of anonymity - it's just that  when that is  combined with a person suddenly appearing with a reference to a suspected  fraudster with no provenance, then alarm bells ring - as we have seen before in these matters.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »
...But clearly they aren't elwesiis as their leaves are applanate

Yes, exactly.  Some of these fraudsters really don't try very hard to conceal their misdeeds. 
Almost in Scotland.

Edgar Wills

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Quite so, Alan , there are good reasons for some people preferring a level of anonymity - it's just that  when that is  combined with a person suddenly appearing with a reference to a suspected  fraudster with no provenance, then alarm bells ring - as we have seen before in these matters.

Let's turn things around: what if your accusations are false? Than you are currently doing harm to this seller's reputation, as well as mine.

I'm sorry I cannot alleviate your fears. I have no way to prove my identity online. This is my real name, and you are welcome to contact me for any further personal details that I'll not post here.
For galanthophiles:

Burhinus

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
Paypal's pages say to take it up with eBay first, so since the person still has an eBay presence and it's possible to contact him I've sent him a message outlining the problem and requesting a return, and so the process has been started to obtain a refund.

It even gives his address.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
It even gives his address.

Is it really "Crook" (County Durham), as the eBay details say?
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
Let's turn things around: what if your accusations are false? Than you are currently doing harm to this seller's reputation, as well as mine.

Maggi has stated that this individual has used photos that have been lifted from other sites, he has, nor has he credited them. Checks with the owner of one of the photographs has confirmed that it is not him.

One of his descriptions of the plant is a direct lift from a catalogue, also not his and not credited.

This type of behaviour we have seen before and it has never worked out well. If anybody is damaging his reputation it is him.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2018, 05:01:16 PM »
I was going to post myself, but Blonde Ingrid said it all.  Her final sentence is worth repeating.

If anybody is damaging his reputation it is him.
Almost in Scotland.

Edgar Wills

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »
Maggi has stated that this individual has used photos that have been lifted from other sites, he has, nor has he credited them. Checks with the owner of one of the photographs has confirmed that it is not him.

One of his descriptions of the plant is a direct lift from a catalogue, also not his and not credited.

This type of behaviour we have seen before and it has never worked out well. If anybody is damaging his reputation it is him.

Those uncredited images aren't a good idea. It is circumstantial evidence however, doesn't prove anything other than that he was too lazy to make his own pictures.

I can only say I got from him the flocon de neige bulb he promised, and I think that is what counts.

As for the guy who's selling normal g. nivalis as rosemary burnham (and any other fake sellers!)- I hope he ends up in jail.
For galanthophiles:

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942