We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.  (Read 16194 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 'Fake' snowdrop bulbs on eBay.
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
It certainly shows that he was lazy - and dishonest- We have found in the past that a person acting dishonestly in one form is often dishonest in another. We  have pointed out the picture theft - because that's what it is , of this person.  If you  have a correct plant from him, that's very lucky for you - but the doubt remains.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Edgar Wills

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
It certainly shows that he was lazy - and dishonest- We have found in the past that a person acting dishonestly in one form is often dishonest in another. We  have pointed out the picture theft - because that's what it is , of this person.  If you  have a correct plant from him, that's very lucky for you - but the doubt remains.

I just hope everyone gets a fair deal, buyers and sellers both. It's a shame for all involved that there are sellers that make it difficult to discern which deals are real.
For galanthophiles:
Check http://www.snowdropwiki.nl
A wiki, for snowdrops.:)

Jacek

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2018, 07:38:45 PM »
Interesting discussion about anonymity.  Whenever I reveal any information it is true. First name, picture and the town where I  live. But no surname, exact address, phone number etc. The same at one rose blog where I am sporadically active.

I am only a hobby gardener. I have job, position. Moreover I do some public activity. I do not want to be easily identified.

But if I were doing business in selling plants, some identification would be necessary. Otherwise we end up in a situation of Dutch Crocus zonatus which does not flower and no one is responsible.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

David Lowndes

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2018, 07:43:26 PM »
If you want to build a collection quickly as I did three years ago you can’t rely on getting to know people and organising swaps. It would take too long. Also, you don’t yet know who the reliable growers are or which events to attend. Ebay is a perfectly reasonable way to help you get started. Initially, I bought many bulbs from eBay and, with one exception, the 20 or so sellers I used were entirely reliable and conscientious.  The exception looks like being galanthophilegreen and I will pursue him if he fails to put things right. I will do this because there is a real friendliness and camaraderie amongst the Snowdrop community and I resent this climate of suspicion that he has created.  Lecture over!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
Happily, for followers of this forum, there are  lots of posts about good ebayers, such as the list shown in this thread, which must be useful for beginners.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

David Lowndes

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
Someone is offering 15 G.elwesii ‘Caroline Elwes’ for £30 (Buy It Now) on eBay. Just thought I’d mention it.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »
Oh yes, David, from "plants_fanatic", eBay member since last Thursday.  And never mind that they are manifestly not yellow.
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
Someone is offering 15 G.elwesii ‘Caroline Elwes’ for £30 (Buy It Now) on eBay. Just thought I’d mention it.

I saw that David, he is listed as 'plant_fanatic'. He is certainly no 'economics_fanatic' selling conservatively, if legit, £1500 worth of drops for £30! Barge-pole in order I think!

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
Also worth noting that 'galanthophilesgreen' has now changed his name again (third time) to '1bestof1'.

His feedback is still shown as 'Private' which means he cannot sell on Ebay, but he still seems intent on doing do if Ebay don't delete his account.

David Lowndes

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »
I REALLY HOPE NOBODY IS FOOLED!
Sorry for shouting.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »
I sent an Ebay message to 'galanthophilesgreen/1bestof1' pointing out we had noted his new ID and circulated it!

This is the response I got: "ha ha ha sorry am using a new account on other websites thank you for your email address i will be seeing you"

Total low-life, naturally I am quaking in my boots!  ;D ;D ;D

David Lowndes

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »
If I haven’t had a response by the end of today I will be opening a complaint with Action Fraud. He’s welcome to come and see me. He has my address. I can’t help laughing though - he lives in somewhere called Crook!

Palustris

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »
Crook is a historic market town in County Durham, in the North East of England. Located a couple of miles north of the River Wear, Crook lies about 9 miles south-west of the historic city of Durham.

"ha ha ha sorry am using a new account on other websites thank you for your email address i will be seeing you"
To me that constitutes an implied threat. You could report that to the police.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 07:05:28 AM »
If you were down at a street market and found a stall selling Rolex watches for £20 you might wonder if they were genuine.  To my mind eBay is a similar environment to a street market, yet people don't seem to approach it with the same degree of caution and scepticism that they would apply to the real world.

(I have edited this post to remove an inappropriate quote as I intended only to make a general observation)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:28:18 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Burhinus

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:33 AM »
eBay seller to add to the list of legitimate vendors:  Roger Harvey (Harvey's Garden Plants in Suffolk) sells from two shops: 'dorasnowdrops' and 'simplysnowdrops'. 

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942