We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus July 2018  (Read 380 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Crocus July 2018
« on: July 05, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
Our first offering for July is only 2/3s of a crocus - just 4 petals!
It's one of the crocus raised from seed from NZAGS Seedex 2008 - I think last year a second corm produced a later flower more typical of Crocus rujanensis but this earlier flowering one is even more bizarre this year!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus July 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
I returned to my crocuses after almost full week long absence. Here I'm showing some pictures before I left home for our grand Song and Dance Festival (UNESCO World Heritage - you can see fast version of Dance concerto here     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROhNDdTM-64  ). I was too busy with all preparings, despatching of very last orders, that hadn't time to download pictures.
As you may be remember - last month I wrote about small sizes of crocus corms this season. One of the last pots harvested before leaving home was this Crocus suworovianus. I never before saw so large corms of this species - diameter up to 30+ mm (gridlines on picture 5 mm). New shoots already started to appear, too.
But harvesting goes in its way. The first bed already finished, plantings registered and pots covered with stone chips and started next bed - still not registered and for better seeing of labels, still not covered with stone chips.

Full version with music of Dance Festival (18 000+ dancers in last final dance together) you can watch here:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Erg-4FRjY
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:09:56 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
Today I harvested Crocus gembosii and its hybrids. Excellent crop regarding size of most of corms - pity, almost no splitting, so selected clones remained of last years size - from only 1 corm up to 30+. Now I'm harvesting C. chrysanthus s.l. stocks. Last year I finally rebuilt corm size of mine selection 'Goldmine' with semi-double flowers - and after long interruption again saw some semi-double flowers. Hoped more for next year, but - all corms split in two and are too small for forming of semi double flowers. They were planted too shallowly. Now I'm carefully looking for corms would be placed at least 10 cm deep in my 20 cm deep pots.

I'm still living into impressions of our choir concerto. For you can get minor impression how it looks and what we are feeling - I'm attaching here link, where you can see only one song (twice on screen you will see me, too - between singers). The name of song is "Broken Pines" and its is about our fight for freedom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhymdd7Pl8
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:35:05 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
Janis, I  have seldom been so moved  - the  massed choir is  magnificent. Something for you all to be so proud of, throughout Latvia.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »
Thank you, Maggi! I'm still singing in my mind in every free minute, so exciting it was!

Returning to crocuses - today I finished repotting of Crocus chrysanthus samples. From many were collected tunics and basal rings and I noted how different they are in different populations - from very hard, woody, to extremely thin, papery or even silky; with basal rings almost absent to well developed with smooth edge or distinctly toothed. So much to do in future! Few pots were marked with red stick - to give great attention next spring and to collect for herbarium.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
Outside is heavy rain and I can't reach my greenhouse after lunch. So few pictures from today. Today were repotted some autumn bloomers - Crocus haussknechtii, damascenus, dispathaceus. Crocuses never will stop surprise me. This season that was size of corms. Shortly ago I wrote that I never before had so tiny corms of C. veluchensis, but now I can tell that I never before saw so huge corms - this is autumn blooming Crocus haussknechtii from W of Iran - diameter of corms reached 40-45 mm (gridlines on photo 5 mm).
Not great surprise that local people use Crocus corms for food and they are sold on markets in huge amounts but during ;las trip to Iran I even observed this by my eyes (not the process, but what left after lunch of locals. Mountain side was full of holes where Crocus damascenus was dug out, and on roadside left shells and still few corms. By the way, I picked them up and few turned undamaged and today were potted. See on the last picture.
But not only crocuses can bring surprises. Here two other autumn bloomers - they suppose that autumn already came - Prospero autumnalis - sample from Crimea, Ukraine (at present occupied by Russia) and another Colchicum paschei from Central Turkey, Nemrutdag Mount in Malatya Province (blooms already quite long, only today accidentally noted its flowers, the first flowers already wilted).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:05:00 PM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:30:01 PM »
Yesterday I finished repotting of Central Asian crocuses - alatavicus, michelsonii and korolkowii. Corms look very good, although smaller than usually are. Lost were only around half of cultivar 'Apricot'.  A year ago I lost many selections from this group and several were lost forever. Seem that reason was Fusarium, but from where it came? Every year my crocuses are repotted in fresh soil and in new pots, but season 2016/17 was catastrophic for several of korolkowii and some alatavicus.
I suppose that infection came from corms bought in Holland. Last year 'Apricot' was lost completely, I got replacement, and even those were very poor this year. Similar situation was with cultivar 'Albus' from Varzob valley, but it this year looked much better. Some years ago I lost my cultivar 'Lucky Number' from rodents and I asked for some corms Dutch grower to whom I presented half of my stock many years ago. I got 10 horribly looking corms, but during 3 seasons they recovered and now again I have this nice cultivar of C. korolkowii. When I visited the Dutch grower of this and some other crocuses, I was really shocked for bad quality of plantings - they all looked ill and I suppose that only huge amounts of fungicides allows to get some crop. But fungicides only are stopping infection, but not makes plants healthy. It stay in corms and only waits for favourable conditions. So now I decided - nothing more from Holland! For mass production by machines you are paying with quality. Now grower is separated from seller - and you pay for this loosing quality. How nice were bulbs, corms in my youth when each grower was selling own plants and he well knew that bad quality can ruin his business. But I think that will come days when all will turn back... But now left only small nurseries, small growers to whom you can trust...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:33:16 PM by Janis Ruksans »

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942