We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wool compost  (Read 647 times)

ian mcdonald

Wool compost
« on: December 28, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
I have recently been given a bag of Wool Compost for Seeds. I thought that the compost would be quite coarse but it is a fine texture and light in weight. I will be trying the compost for alpine seed sowing. The manufacturers are Barker and Bland, near Penrith in Cumbria. The compost is made of wool and bracken and does not contain peat. Looking at the compost it has the best make up of any previous composts I have seen. Previous peat containing composts I have tried over many years have resulted in the compost in the pots being either too wet or too dry, resulting in a poor germination rate. I would prefer a loam only seed compost but these are difficult to track down and garden  centres complain about the weight of the soil composts.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wool compost
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
Sounds promising, Ian. We'll look forward to seeing the results and hearing your conclusions.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."

ian mcdonald

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
I have found out that the composts are made by Dalefoot. There is a list of stockists on their site.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:43:40 PM »
I have used this compost.  It is very moisture retentive being derived partly from wool.  Its very good (though expensive) so I use it sparingly ...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

In Association with Amazon.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942